Deployment of ThinApp Packages with DeskCenter
ThinApp packages applications in familiar formats (.MSI or .EXE) that can be integrated into existing infrastructure of software license management, deployment or audit and compliance. The application virtualization platform makes it possible to run software instantly and without installation on every client in the network. One central element of VM Ware ThinApp is the Virtual Operating System which is included in every virtualized application.
Therefore, these applications can be used immediatly without device drivers, without DLL conflicts and without variation of the PC business system environment. Packed in short time, it protects the client's resources and helps administrators save a lot of resources and money because they don't have to attend to the local installation.
According to VMware, “traditional applications for packaging and delivery are fraught with application and operating system conflicts, which lead to an instable desktop environment”. ThinApp eliminates these conflicts and securely packages applications for delivery to physical and virtual desktops throughout the company. Additionally, ThinApp enables virtual applications to be streamed from a network or delivered to USB stick.
Deployment of virtual ThinApp packages (applications) with the DeskCenter Management Suite brings you:
- A centralized management: You can deploy ThinApp packages to thousands of PCs within seconds; just as common software packages (MSI).
- You always keep track of a package’s version and its usage as well as the time of deployment, the type of package and the PC it was deployed to.
- DeskCenter automatically registers all packages at the Windows user interface of each client. Thus, you don’t have to do that by yourself or instruct the users.
- You can make optimal use of the streaming function: By providing your ThinApp packages on a network share, you don’t have to deploy them to every single PC. DeskCenter takes care of the registration and detects the path.
- Realize your “single point of update” in a perfect way
With VMware ThinApp, it is possible to stream software programs and applications from a network drive transparently or let them run offline on the PC, without installation of client software or server software.
The whole process works without administrator rights and requires no device drivers or preinstalled agents. The Integaration of ThinApp into the Deskcenter Management Suite increases your network security in that applications, that used to require administrator rights, can be used with restricted user rights.
ThinApp protects the local PC against changes in the file system and in the registry – both for customer applications and for commercial office applications without changing the source code. Thus the application is independent from the operating system.